These are some of the common causes of Unrecoverable Errors and the codes that may come with it. Due to the random nature of the errors, the error number you get may differ from what is shown. The list is not inclusive and you might encounter a different error from the scenarios given.
Common error codes:
- 00000 14775
- 00000 15204
- 00227 55008
- 00551 46274
- 02457 79428
- 13730 84631
- 13824 75582
- 15563 13890
- 19758 63847
- 20103 33023
- 20888 41171
Instances when you might encounter the error:
Unrecoverable error can occur in numerous situations but are not limited to:
- Attempting to open a company file
- Closing a company file
- Closing any open window in a company file
- Creating a backup
- Making a company file
- Creating a portable file
- Downloading a payroll update
- Opening any window in QuickBooks (Home Page, Company Snapshot, Reports, Transaction)
- Running Verify or Rebuild
- Saving a transaction
- Sending payroll via Direct Deposit
- Using the Open Previous Company feature
Note: If you don’t use a user name to open your company file or if there are no other users that can access your company file, proceed to solution 2.
Solution 1: Identify how many users are affected
Identify how many users are affected by using a different log in credential to open the same company file. If the error only happens in one specific user, that user credential might be damaged. If so, recreate the damaged user.
- From the Company menu, select Set Up Users and Passwords > Set Up Users.
Enterprise users: Go to the Company menu, then select Users > Set Up Users and Roles.
- Select Add User…, then type the user name and password. Select Next.
Note: Do not use the damaged user name.
- Customize the user as necessary, then select Finish.
- Go to the File menu, then select Close Company/Logoff.
- Log in to the company file using the new log in credential.
Solution 2: Suppress your QuickBooks Desktop
Step 1: Suppress the Desktop while starting QuickBooks
- Press and hold the Ctrl key.
- Double-click your QuickBooks program icon.
- Hold the Ctrl key until the No Company Open window shows.
Step 2: Suppress the Desktop while opening a Company File
- Select the desired company file from the No Company Open window.
- Press and hold the Alt key, then select Open.
- If you are prompted for your log in information, release the Alt key, then enter youruser name and password.
Important: If you are not prompted for your user name and password, do not release the Alt key.
- Press and hold the Alt key, then select OK. Do not release the Alt key until your file is completely open.
Note: QuickBooks will display a blank screen. If you can highlight a QuickBooks menu by just hovering your pointer to it, your company file is completely open.
Solution 3: Open a sample company file
Opening a sample company file helps you identify if the problem lies with your company file or with QuickBooks itself.
- If the sample file opens, your company file may be damaged or the folder where the company file is saved is damaged. Try copying the file to a different location.
- If the error persists, use a recent backup or ADR to restore your file. Perform basic data damage troubleshooting if your backup or ADR is not enough to get you back on track.
- If the sample file produces the same error message, proceed to solution 4.
To open a sample file
- From the No Company Open window, select Open a sample file.
- Select any sample file on the list.
- Right-click anywhere on your Desktop, then select New > Folder. Name the folder QBTEST.
- Open the folder where the company file is saved.
- Right-click the file, then select Copy.
- Paste the company file in the QBTEST folder that you created.
- Open the company file from the QBTEST folder.
Solution 4: Run reboot.bat
Solution 5: Troubleshoot the QuickBooks Desktop Application
- Repair QuickBooks Desktop.
- Download and run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic tool.
- Reinstall using clean install.
- Manually repair Microsoft components. If you are not comfortable with these steps, consult an IT Professional or Microsoft.
- Repair or reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework
- Repair Microsoft MSXML
- Uninstall or reinstall Microsoft Visual C++