Learn how you can help customers if they can’t pay for an invoice you send them in QuickBooks and What to do if customers can’t pay their invoices online
If you sign up for QuickBooks Payments, you can send invoices from QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Desktop that customers can pay online.
When they get the email, all they have to do is select the Review and pay or Pay invoice button to open and pay for the invoice. Depending on your settings, customers can pay by credit card or with an ACH bank transfer.
If your customers run into issues when they try to pay, don’t worry. Here are a few ways to fix them so you can finish the sale.
Customers don’t see a “Pay now” button in their email
If you sign up for QuickBooks Payments, you can send online invoices. You need to turn on the feature to use it. Here’s how to set everything up:
- Turn on online invoice payments in QuickBooks Online
- Turn on online invoice payments in QuickBooks Desktop
Keep in mind, payment processing is an add-on feature. If you don’t have QuickBooks Payments, you can’t send invoices that customers can pay online. While you can still email invoice forms, you won’t be able to process payments without QuickBooks Payments.
Customers see an error message
Customers should follow any instructions they see in the error message. If there aren’t any steps, recommend they:
- Clear their web browser cache. This can prevent payment links from working correctly.
- Right-click the Review and pay button in the invoice email and copy the URL. Open a web browser and paste the link into the address bar. If the link still doesn’t open, try another web browser.
- Make sure their web browser is up to date.
QuickBooks Payments works best with these web browsers:
- Internet Explorer
Customers don’t know how to to make partial payments
Customers can make partial payments on the payment page:
- Open the invoice email and select Review and pay.
- Select the pencil ✏️ icon to edit the Payment Amount.
- Enter the partial amount.
- Complete the rest of the fields and select Pay.
Tip: If you don’t want customers to make partial payments, let them know ahead of time.
Customers’ credit card gets declined
There are a few common reasons why cards may get declined. The info they entered may not match what the bank has on file. Or the payment amount is larger than the limit set by your card issuer or bank.
When cards get declined, recommend your customer talks to their bank directly.
Call +1-(818) 900-9884
Chat live to our Customer Care Executive.
Related Topics: Solved: New Tab Button Sign Out the QuickBooks?